All in this together (7/11/2022)

 


Just in case you can't see what the sticker says - it proclaims "we are all in this together."  You may or may not feel that way - but I sure do.  We don't all have to agree on everything or even most things.  We don't have to love each other or even like each other.  But I do think we've got to acknowledge that there's only one earth - so for the time being - yeah, we really are all in this together.  

 

If I've shared the following before - please pardon the repetition.  More and more, I've got a mind that remembers what it wants to remember, yet forgets what I don't want it to.  On the first day of business school, during the very first lecture, the Professor declared "it's not about me and it's not about you.  It's about us, and not just some us, but all of us."  Hmm...  He wanted the class to understand that it wasn't important who graduated with the highest GPA or went onto the most prestigious job - it was about making sure that we all learned from each other, supported one and other, and that we all crossed the finish line together.

 

Reminds me of that great scene in An Officer And A Gentleman when Mayo forfeits the obstacle course record - and personal glory - to go back and help his classmate Seeger over the wall: https://youtu.be/Hc-VglI8KLQ 

(Make sure to watch through the first 30 seconds of ads) I still get goosebumps every time I see it or even think about it.  The scene is the very essence of what it means to all be in this together.  Sure, I am banging away at this theme pretty hard, but I think it's important and hey, we do have Support Group tomorrow night and what could be a greater expression of all in this together than Support Group.

 

I had a phone call today from a Bandster that I hadn't seen or heard from in 13 years!  You read that right, 2009 was the last time that we had spoken.  So much has happened since then, to both of us, and to the world at large.  That said, this individual knew - from waaaaay back when - that they could always come home, that they could always call, and that anytime for anything it would always be about us.

 

I also had a FaceTime with a Sleevester who was struggling a bit.  Current events really had them down - war, shootings, gas prices - things that I imagine are upsetting many of us - but what was really unsettling to them was that they felt there is a breakdown in community, civility, and respect - especially between those who disagree.  They were despondent about the loss of a collective, all encompassing "US" that often seems to have been replaced by "them" versus "us" and by a "me" versus "you."  Seemingly gone - or at least relegated to a lower priority - is a sense of collective good, a commonality of purpose, a willingness to help someone else get over that wall, to get them - together with us - across the finish line.

 

Of course, it doesn't have to be that way. As Viktor Frankl so wisely taught:  "Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom.”  We must never forget our freedom to choose - to choose us over them and we over me.  Our freedom to ensure that everyone gets over the wall and across the finish line.

 

Wishing us all safe space, an abundance of grace, and a sense of belonging.

 

Adam


Comments